Join our musical community!
The Lawrence Children’s Choir invites you to join us for the 2021-2022 season, singing with one of our four choirs in a safe, fun and vigorous environment. Singers interested in joining any of our choirs for the Spring semester will be able to register or sign up for a hearing in December, 2021.
Our two youngest choirs do not require an audition, simply a love of music and fun. They are:
Capo: (Non-Auditioned, Pre-K and Kindergarten [3-6 years old])
A choir serving our youngest singers, Capo musically engages children through singing games and singable songs in a small group environment. This choir rehearses in small sections to foster a personal, lively and joyful environment. Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings (5:00-5:35 pm or 5:40-6:15, parent/guardian attends rehearsals with singer) and are held in two 8-week sessions, the first beginning September 28th, 2021 and the second beginning January 11, 2022.
Cadenza: (Non-Auditioned, 1st-3rd Grade)
The singers of Cadenza build on their love of music and begin to develop fundamentals of choral technique and ensemble awareness. A wide variety of age-appropriate music is explored in an engaging environment, where fun and skill development are seamlessly interwoven. Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings (5:15-6:00 pm, parent/guardian does not attend rehearsal) and and are held in two 8-week sessions, the first beginning September 28th, 2021 and the second beginning January 11, 2022.
For the maturing musician we offer two auditioned choirs that focus on developmentally appropriate singing technique, ensemble development, diverse repertoire and the joyous rigor of a professional choral education. They are:
Choristers: (Auditioned, 3rd-6th Grade)
Choristers offers a foundational musical experience for the developing singer, focusing on appropriate vocal technique, professional performance skills, diverse repertoire and ensemble-focused singing. Rehearsals are active and engaging, fostering each singer’s personal investment and natural gifts. Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings (5:00-5:45 pm, parent/guardian does not attend rehearsal) from August 24th, 2021 - April 25th, 2022 (including a Winter Break).
Auditions for Choristers will resume in December for the spring semester. Please check back for audition dates and times.
Tour Choir: (Auditioned, 5th-10th Grade)
The Tour Choir of LCC is the organization’s flagship choir, providing young singers with a nationally recognized choral experience that teaches both professional musicianship and life skills. An ensemble for those who love singing and community, the Tour Choir’s rigorous rehearsals challenge and motivate singers to explore new levels of musical and cultural awareness, personal preparation, and ensemble sensitivity, culminating in a vast array of public performance, outreach and tour opportunities. Rehearsals are Monday evenings (6:00-7:30 pm, parent/guardian does not attend rehearsal) from August 23rd, 2021 - April 25th, 2022 (including a Winter Break and a June 2022 tour).
Auditions for Tour Choir will resume in December for the spring semester. Please check back for audition dates and times.
The auditions for the Lawrence Children’s Choir are designed to be a warm, low-stress experience where we get to know each singer, their voice, previous musical experience and other interests. It is also a time for you to get to know us, ask questions about logistics and teaching philosophy, and see if LCC is a good fit for you. We hope you’ll join us!
All returning LCC singers of both Choristers and Tour Choir (Grades 3-10) are asked to sign up for an audition. This will be a chance for you to meet individually with our incoming Artistic Director, Gabe Lewis-O'Connor, giving you the opportunity to visit and ask any questions you may have. It will also give "Dr. Gabe" a chance to get to know your voice and decide on choir and voice part placement.
Auditions will be comprised of the following activities:
Audition Registration (10 minutes, completed before scheduled audition time)
- Audition registration form, to be filled out by parent/guardian
- Musical assessment form, to be filled out by singer
Singing Audition (10 minutes, open audition format with singer, parent/guardian, LCC Artistic Director, LCC accompanist)
- Sing one piece (“Happy Birthday” for Choristers audition, “Star Spangled Banner” for Tour Choir audition)
- Pitch memory exercise (a series of pitches will be sung, singer sings them back)
- Sight reading exercise (a short written musical phrase will be shared, singer sings it back as best they can)
- Range check (singer will sing repeated phrase to show range)
- Questions/discussion (the most important part! A chance for any questions, discussion, etc.)
How to sign up for an audition:
- Use the calendar below to sign up for an audition slot. First choose a day, then a time that works for you, entering the required information to secure your slot.
- Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled singing audition time. This will allow both parent/guardian and student to complete the required paperwork before singing. For example if you sign up for a 10:20 am time slot please be in the church filling out paperwork no later than 10:10 am.
- For the safety of all those working and auditioning masks are required for youth and adults, regardless of vaccination status. Many of our singers do not meet the current age requirements to receive vaccines, and for their safety we will conduct all auditions fully masked.
- Auditions will be held at Trinity Lutheran Church (1245 New Hampshire). Please park in the parking lot located East of the church (NW corner of 13th Street and Rhode Island Street) and access the church through the main double doors at the Northeast corner of the building. See attached map for parking and entrance location.
Sign up for an audition day/time using the Calendar below:
(Please arrive at least 10 minutes before your scheduled audition time to complete audition registration)